When I first started this blog, I was an unemployed costumer attempting to create period gowns and costumes with very limited means. Although now employed, I still try to be as thrifty as possible. I am still "The Broke Costumer"!

In addition to posts about the outfits I make on a budget, this blog includes short research articles on fashion, history, accessories, styles, or whatever interests me at the moment.

I hope you enjoy my journey into the land of inexpensive costuming and short articles.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

This and That

Three things:

1.     I have decided on the outfit for my Secret Santa Project.  I knew I wanted to make a new outfit for all the Titanic events coming up.  I love the floaty dresses, but I am getting a bit old for those.   I don't want a matronly suit either.   Perfect compromise:  A wonderful out of print Simplicity pattern. If you wanted to buy it online now, it will cost you around $50 more or less.  I just happen to have a wonderful friend who has this pattern, and I am copying it from her.  The great thing about having costuming friends is you can trade patterns and trace each others.  I bought a huge roll of pattern paper from Michael Levine's in LA, and it lasts forever.  I have had this roll for about a year now.   The big question is this - What color should I make it?  I don't want to do it in blue because I don't want to look like Rose from Titanic. 

2.   I can finally start my pink plaid dress!  Very excited about that!  I have to be very careful about the yardage as it will be very tight.  See my previous post about what it will look like.

3.   The Loose Change Project.    I made this funny little graph so I can watch the progress of my quest for change.  As soon as I hit $50, I cash it in and get a new dress started.  (at $6.89 right now).   May take six months, but I can keep busy til then!  I will just keep stealing change from Jerry's pockets and the bottom of my purse.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

An 1880 Natural Form Seafoam Green Victorian Skirt and Bodice - Part 2

Photo by Marcee C.

Well, I finished it!  The bodice was a bit difficult to fit on myself, as I have a curvature in my upper spine/neck area. I found this little half collar does not work well on me.  It stands away from the back of my neck due to the curve.  It was a nice pattern to work with though, and I love the way the back tail looks.
Here are some pictures from the Costume Guild West's Winter Tea at the Biltmore in downtown Los Angeles.   What a beautiful venue for a costumed event! 
Val L. and Me
8 yards black 3" lace $8
2 yards beaded trim $3
Polyester horsehair braid $8
Glass beads $2
8 yards fabric  $32
Full size sheet $3
Lining in stash
Thread in stash
Buttons in stash
Bias tape remnant in stash

Total $56. Over budget by $6, but worth it!

Photo by Val L.