When I first started this blog, I was an unemployed costumer attempting to create period gowns and costumes with very limited means. Although now employed, I still try to be as thrifty as possible. I am still "The Broke Costumer"!

In addition to posts about the outfits I make on a budget, this blog includes short research articles on fashion, history, accessories, styles, or whatever interests me at the moment.


I hope you enjoy my journey into the land of inexpensive costuming and short articles.




Sunday, January 15, 2012

An 1880 Natural Form Seafoam Green Victorian Skirt and Bodice - Part 2

Photo by Marcee C.







Well, I finished it!  The bodice was a bit difficult to fit on myself, as I have a curvature in my upper spine/neck area. I found this little half collar does not work well on me.  It stands away from the back of my neck due to the curve.  It was a nice pattern to work with though, and I love the way the back tail looks.
Here are some pictures from the Costume Guild West's Winter Tea at the Biltmore in downtown Los Angeles.   What a beautiful venue for a costumed event! 
 
Val L. and Me
8 yards black 3" lace $8
2 yards beaded trim $3
Polyester horsehair braid $8
Glass beads $2
8 yards fabric  $32
Full size sheet $3
Lining in stash
Thread in stash
Buttons in stash
Bias tape remnant in stash

Total $56. Over budget by $6, but worth it!




Photo by Val L.
                                                                                       

6 comments:

  1. Wow, only $56! You have mad skills when it comes to sourcing fabrics and trims for cheap. This is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lauren! The one thing I need to do is adjust the petticoat. I ended up wearing a different one at the last minute. Easy fix tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course the camera doesn't show how really beautiful the color of her fabric was.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous! What I want to know it, how long do you suppose it takes to make this? We sewists know that it's one thing for us to find the deals and make it for ourselves, but there are people who expect others to do the sewing for them and have no conception of how much actual work these garments take! I've hand sewn a bustle gown for dolls, and that has taken me about 20 hours. I've no idea how long it takes to make one for a real live person! Waiting to lose a few more pounds before I tackle one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Val! Robin's. Egg bleu I think your tiny confections take longer than full size clothing! Let me see... the skirt was super easy. Cut out and sewn in about 2 hours. The trim around the bottom say 45 min. Bodice was another story. With the three layers and boning and the problems I had fitting about 10. That could have been cut down quite a lot. Next time will be faster!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Val! Robin's. Egg bleu I think your tiny confections take longer than full size clothing! Let me see... the skirt was super easy. Cut out and sewn in about 2 hours. The trim around the bottom say 45 min. Bodice was another story. With the three layers and boning and the problems I had fitting about 10. That could have been cut down quite a lot. Next time will be faster!

    ReplyDelete