When I first started this blog, I was an unemployed costumer attempting to create period gowns and costumes with very limited means. Although now employed, I still try to be as thrifty as possible. I am still "The Broke Costumer"!

In addition to posts about the outfits I make on a budget, this blog includes short research articles on fashion, history, accessories, styles, or whatever interests me at the moment.

I hope you enjoy my journey into the land of inexpensive costuming and short articles.

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Dark Marie

Myth Masque time again!  This year, I went in the opposite direction than last year’s pink Tea with Marie gown.  I decided to go as a more gothic Marie.   I had seen the prettiest silver and black poly brocade fabric at Joann’s and thought it would make the perfect gothic dress.  Since this is a fantasy costume, shiny is perfect!

The fabric was $10 a yard and I needed around 12 yards.   $120 = NOT affordable.   I waited for a sale.  Finally, I hit a 40% off sale - and had a coupon for an additional 15% off!  This made it $4.50 a yard, For a total of $54.  I had a $25 gift certificate, so I ended up paying $29.

I again used the Simplicity pattern. This time, instead of closing it down the middle, I made the front of the bodice one piece, and hooked it on the side under the trim. 

I love the a la francaise back. I like the way it bellows out behind you. I had fun pleating it and seeing it take shape on my dress form dummy, named Half-Maude.  She was originally just Maude, but one day I put an extra heavy costume on her, and the legs collapsed.  She now sits on a bar stool.

The sleeves were fun to do.  I used three layers: the brocade for the outer layer, black and silver lace for the center layer and sheer black dotted swiss for the inner layer.  Around the sleeve is a black velvet strip on top of silver lace.  I sewed skull beads around the velvet strip and glued on little diamond bling.

I went to the National City swap meet where they have a fantastic booth full of trim.  I bought pre-pleated, black grosgrain ribbon for $1 a yard.   I also bought 1/8th inch wide silver ribbon and sewed it down the middle of the pleated ribbon. I bought silver gimp trim.  I sewed a lazy S shape down both sides of the front of the over skirt, and sewed the silver gimp at the front edges of the over skirt.  I got six silver roses which I pinned on between the S shapes.

I also bought two big ribbon bows with giant “diamonds” on them for the front of the bodice.

The underskirt was made from black satin, which was a gift. The wig was from Amazon, a steal at $12. Its a vampire wig with pointed bangs which I clipped up underneath the cap.

My headpiece was fun!  It was a headband with black and silver roses, feathers, a tiny pirate hat and a silver skull attached.  It was made by my friend, Seven Deadly Sins, Inc.  I had in my possession from a previous costume a pirate hat with a ship attached.  It fit Mr. Skull perfectly!  So I added that.  

The mask was also from a previous costume, and I used silver eyeshadow on my eyes as well as my lips!  Black and white feather fan I have had for several years. 

Dress Cost Breakdown:

$29     Fabric
$10     10 yards pleated black ribbon $1/yd
$2.50  10 yards thin silver ribbon  25cents/yd
$4        8 yards silver gimp  50cents/yd
$7.50   6 silver roses  $1.25 yd
$5        15 skull beads
$3        2 bows with large "diamonds"
sleeve layers and bodice lining - stash scraps


Here are some photos of the final product.


Photo by Kelly Varner.  With Joanne W.
Photo by Kelly Varner.
Photo by Debbie Boyd