When I first started this blog, I was an unemployed costumer attempting to create period gowns and costumes with very limited means. Although now employed, I still try to be as thrifty as possible. I am still "The Broke Costumer"!

In addition to posts about the outfits I make on a budget, this blog includes short research articles on fashion, history, accessories, styles, or whatever interests me at the moment.


I hope you enjoy my journey into the land of inexpensive costuming and short articles.




Monday, May 12, 2014

Waking up from Sewer's Burnout

Hello, I'm back!    I have not posted since the Tartan Twin dresses in December.   After that outfit was completed, I felt very burned out.   I felt (and still do a bit) that I had lost my creativity along with my desire to sew.  No event in January so I took a needed costuming break.
February 23rd was Dapper Day at Disneyland, and that also happened to be my daughter's birthday.  We decided to wear cute retro dresses.  I got patterns and fabric.  I cut both dresses out.  I sewed half of my daughter's dress and part of mine.   Unfortunately, the fabric my daughter picked out for her dress made her "look like a shower curtain" (her words).   I never finished it.  I lost interest in mine as well.  I will finish it someday!  We wore dresses we already had.

In March the Costumer's Guild West was doing a Gibson Girl event.   I got excited about that.  What could be simpler than a skirt and blouse?   Cut it out, sewed half of it....did not finish.  Did not make the event :(

In April San Diego Costume Guild attended the House of England program in Balboa Park and we did a character parade.  I wore by same Beatrix Potter outfit again.   I wanted to wear the Gibson Girl outfit, which never got finished.   Sigh......

In April I also went to Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly Weekend.  I wore a purchased dress.  Oh!  Look at that cute pin up dress!  Look at that one!   $150???? I can make that for $30!    I see that I can make ALL THE DRESSES!!!!

In May was Gaslight Gathering convention, where I produced my 4th fashion show for the Sunday tea.  Guess what?   I never made myself a new dress for it.   I wore the Tartan.

Ok, enough!  Time to wake up!  Myth Masque Ball is two weeks away!  I usually start an elaborate gown months before. ( See Tea with Marie and Dark Marie posts)  This year I am going simplified.   Streamlined, easy.  I will post soon about this outfit as well as my daughter's outfit, as I ease back into sewing again.  I do love making skirts, and had the foresight to buy some awesome purple and black fabric the last time I went to LA fabric district.  How about a corset and bustle skirt?  I won't have to sew a bodice!   And....flowers!   a floral headdress.  Yes, this will work.

I am opening my costuming eyes again, and have plans for a great Comic Con  costume!  Lets hope I can follow through.


3 comments:

  1. Heh heh, time to send you some inspiration photos to get you going again too.
    We are learning we are not costume producing machines. Even machines break down from time to time, and need a little tune-up or lubrication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling! I don't like re-wearing costumes to events, but sometimes I have to take a break and wear something older or purchased. It's too much pressure to crank out something new every event! Good to see you back again, though. Best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you understand what I was, and am still a bit, going through. Iys coming back slowly. I am really excited about my comic con outfit if I can pull it off.

      Delete