When I first started this blog, I was an unemployed costumer attempting to create period gowns and costumes with very limited means. Although now employed, I still try to be as thrifty as possible. I am still "The Broke Costumer"!

In addition to posts about the outfits I make on a budget, this blog includes short research articles on fashion, history, accessories, styles, or whatever interests me at the moment.


I hope you enjoy my journey into the land of inexpensive costuming and short articles.




Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Get Your Kicks on Route 66


I have always loved this song, written by Bobby Troup in 1946 and sung by Nat King Cole.

If you ever plan to motor west,
Travel my way, take the highway that is best.
Get your kicks on Route sixty-six.

It winds from Chicago to LA,
More than two thousand miles all the way.
Get your kicks on Route sixty-six.

Won't you get hip to this timely tip:
When you make that California trip
Get your kicks on Route sixty-six.


Two things happened to get me more excited about the famous highway.  California Adventure opened Cars Land, a Route 66 themed land full of memorabilia and attractions based on the movie Cars.  The other thing is I found awesome fabric I just had to make a dress out of. I previously discussed the pattern and construction in my post from Tiki Day at Disneyland
                                                                                                                                           
This post is more of a photo shoot dedicated to the "Mother Road" than anything else. My daughter and I went to California Adventure, and she took some shots of our time there. I added a vintage vibe to the coloring.  Here are some of them.  Photo heavy!

 
 
































My Route 66 bracelet from Etsy
Me, Tow Mater, and Amy

My Buick Parasol



3 comments:

  1. Bravo my Dear! You look simply Amazing Dahling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress. And I like your "vintage vibe" to the photos.
    Val

    ReplyDelete